Freitag, 20. Dezember 2013

2013/12/20: New York – Long Island – New London

As I already mentioned, I arrived in New York this morning. I had three hours to get rid of my baggage, have a “luxurious breakfast” at McDonald’s, get rid of my Canadian dollars, buy a ticket for the Long Island Railway and take some picture of Times Square. Easy.



Too much sun and too many trees. These two things, which I missed very much in the last days in Toronto, make it difficult to take good pictures out of the train window. The train runs at a leisurely pace along the eastern part of Long Island. I’m going to the final stop Greenport, which is still 14 kilometers away from the port where my ferry to New London is going to depart. When I booked the tickets some months ago, the schedule said that there’s a bus regularly connecting train and ship. Then, the winter schedule wasn’t available yet. Now the winter schedule is available, and it says that there are no buses at all running on weekdays…



Thank God I found a possibility to store my heavy luggage in New York for the next two days. I only have a small rucksack with me, which makes many things a lot easier than with two rucksacks and an additional bag (think of using a public toilet!), not least bridging the gap between train station and the ferry terminal. Yes, I could have tried to hitchhike, or called a taxi, or whatever. But the weather was so great! The first time since weeks without jacket and gloves! No snow! But sun! I was so happy and I kept on walking, and walking, and walking. A little bit like Forrest Gump, but much slower of course.

The only annoying thing: the schedule in the internet was obviously wrong, two buses passed me… But on the whole walk I’ve seen only one bus stop, and there were no time-table information at all… Anyway, I enjoyed the long hike. Finally nature and warmth. No, I don’t miss the Torontonian winter. Not at the moment.



The ferry was not really spectacular. I enjoyed a tea and talking to Samantha, who I met in the ferry terminal. Wow, I'm able to talk to Americans and to understand them. Obviously I improved my English skills in the last months.



New London makes me looking forward to Boston. Old houses, good pizza, somehow European.



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen