Sonntag, 15. Dezember 2013

2013/12/15: Toronto, a winter fairy tale

It's my last week here, so I try to see everything in Toronto that I haven’t seen before… On Friday, I visited buildings of Will Alsop, …



…Frank Gehry…



…and Santiago Calatrava.



I spent some time in Kensington Market, …



…saw Fort York, …



…and enjoyed the backyards of and the views from Bathurst Street.



I also took the 90 seconds ferry ride to Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport. The ferry ride is one of the shortest in the world at just 121 metres. From the airport, you have a great view at Toronto’s skyline.



The last place I visited before it got dark was Toronto Music Garden.



When I arrived in my apartment building in the evening, the information screens that normally show weather forecast, news and advertisements, showed this:



I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to enter my flat or if something terrible happened.
Nothing happened, they just wanted to inform us that there’s a lot of snow and wind outside… It reminded me of what I read in the book “How to be a Canadian”: “After all, Toronto is a city where the mayor calls in the army whenever it snows – and the navy every time it rains, presumably”.

This book was funny when I read it before starting my trip to North America, but it is much funnier having experienced Canada for some months. Now I really understand things like: “duplex: a single building divided in half with two sets of inhabitants, each trying to pretend the other doesn’t exist while at the same time managing to drive each other crazy; metaphor for Canada” or “How do you get two hundred drunken Canadians out of a swimming pool?” – “You say, “Excuse me, could you please get out of the pool?”.

I didn’t see the army, but there was indeed heavy snowfall yesterday and during the night. This is how our campus looked like this morning:



This is how Riverdale Park looked like this afternoon:



This is how Riverdale Farm looked like:



And this is how Cabbagetown looked like.



The high-risers in St. Jamestown look like they always look…



The last picture of the day shows Rosedal Valley.



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen